|Note: Information on the Lewis Family before Walden Lewis b. c. 1774 in Virginia comes from assumptions based on multiple sources. Therefore, the information on this page is not reliable for genealogical purposes. A detailed discussion of the many connections can be found at Lewis Family Research.|
Joseph (4John, 3James, 2James, 1Edmund) Lewis, Sr. of Caroline Co VA
Research Note: This page is intended to provide records for a possible father for the Joseph Lewis who is listed as administrator of Samuel Faulconer, dec'd in Reuben Kennedy's suit filed in Augusta Co VA sometime after 1805. There were a lot of men named Joseph Lewis. Questions:
1. Was the Joseph Lewis of Caroline/Essex Co the same Joseph Lewis of record in Culpeper Co VA?
2. Was the Joseph Lewis of Culpeper the same Joseph Lewis who is found in Orange Co VA?
3. And, was this Joseph Lewis the father of many sons from different mothers?
But then, there's this genealogical inquiry from over a hundred years ago:
for July, 1896.
45. Want to know of the brothers and sisters of Joseph Lewis, who married Nancy Faulkoner about 1793 and came from Virginia to Kentucky in 1818 with members of his wife's family and one Richard Vivian (or Vernon), who married Miss Davis. Joseph Lewis had a son, Burton R., who went as a substitute for his father into the army between 1812 and 1815. Tradition says he had two brothers, Charles and James. The latter settled near Tuscaloosa, Ala.
Would also like the antecedents of Nancy Faulkoner, the wife of Joseph Lewis, who had brothers Thomas, Newman and Edward. My grandfather was nine years old at the time of the battle of York town and remembered hearing the cannon on that occasion. J. W. L.
"Lewisiana, the Lewis Letter," v. 7, p.16. <http://www.ebooksread.com> 2 June 2013.
Joseph Lewis (#1) was born in about 1745 in Caroline Co VA. And, there is a 1762 record which appears to indicate something like a bar fight among young men who were adjudicated guilty of breaking the peace.
Next, we find records for a Joseph Lewis of Culpeper and Orange Co VA. Are these records for the same person?
| Caroline Co VA Court Order Book, p. 388:
12 Nov 1762. William Clutterbuck, Joseph Lewis and Francis Long ack. debt to the King for 20 lbs (William) and 10 lbs (Joseph and Francis each) if William Clutterbuck does not keep the peace for one year.
|Culpepper Deeds 1790-1792, pp 10-11:
30 Sep 1790. Alex Spotswood and wife to Samuel Cole, 200 acres in Culpepper Co (bounds given) Signed, sealed and delivered in the presence of Jos. Lewis, Reubin Hawkins, Daniel Branham, Gabriel Long, Abram Maury, Tho. Camp, John Slaughter, Wm. Camp.
|Orange Co. Will book 3, p. 338:
Estate appraisal of William Sisson, dec'd. made 7 Oct 1790 by Richard Collins, John Robinson, and Joseph (His Mark) Lewis, Sr.
|Sept 6, 1790. Joseph Lewis 3 white tith, 1 Black tith over 16, no Black tith 12-16, 2 Horses|
|Orange Co VA Will Book 3, p. 338:
10/7/1790. Estate appraisal of William Sisson, dec'd. Richard Collins, John Robinson, and Joseph (His Mark) Lewis, Sr.
|Culpeper County Virginia Deeds:
Nov 19, 1792. Stephen Bingham & wf Jane of Culp to James Sims Junr 53 acres in Culp part laid off by sd Bingham being part of Steward tract where sd Bingham lived now the property of George Foushee.
Wit: William Powell, William Sims, James Lewis.
|Jun 23, 1800. Joseph Lewis, 2 White tithables / 1 Black above 16 / 0 Blacks 12-16 / 2 Horses / 0 dollars / 68 cents|
Research Note: The Joseph Lewis b. 1771 is a member of this Lewis family as proven by DNA as are the descendants of William Young and Reuben Kennedy. And, there is strong circumstantial evidence which links both the Young and Kennedy families to Joseph. [Lewis DNA] Therefore, those families are connected here until further information becomes available.
1. Joseph Lewis (#2) b. 1771 Caroline Co VA
2. Reuben Kennedy b. 1773 Caroline Co VA (Conjecture)
3. Charles Lewis b. c. 1775 Caroline Co VA
4. James Lewis b. c. 1776 Caroline Co VA
5. William Young b. 1777 Caroline Co VA (Conjecture)